Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

This is regarding a condition my G.P. has diagnosed as "pins

and needles". Almost 5 years ago...
This is regarding a condition my G.P. has diagnosed as "pins and needles".
Almost 5 years ago I was in a double rollover car accident. Luckily I wasn't seriously injured but since then I have had a syndrome that my GP refers to as "pins and needles".
After the rollover I was left hanging upside down hanging from my seat belt. My GP felt that what happened was that my spine got "stretched" and led to this condition.
It can be very tormenting at times - at its worst I can even have some mild involuntary movements. My only relief has be to take prescribed Hydrocodone/Lortab.
Obviously it isn't good to take Hydrocodone daily for such a long time. It also affects my overall daily mental and physical well being. It is especially bad after sleep and the worst is if I should fall asleep sitting up.
I have had a few acupuncture treatments and this seems like it might be helping somewhat. I am in hard financial times so I can't afford regular treatment and am not sure that it will be a total solution.
I thought it might be time to get an expert opinion. I realize it would be hard to make an full diagnosis without seeing me but I would be interested to see if you have any further thoughts or opinions on my dilemna.
9/15/2013
KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)
KarayanMD :

Hi. Are you available to chat?

KarayanMD :

I am a board certified neurologist in the U.S.

Mr_Satellite :

Yes sure. thanks!

KarayanMD :

Welcome.

KarayanMD :

I am sorry to hear about your car accident.

KarayanMD :

As far as the pins and needles go, which part of the body do you feel this?

Mr_Satellite :

I can feel it through my whole skeletal systems. It can be especially bad in legs and arms. BTW It is also worsened by stress.

KarayanMD :

Well, there are a couple things that would ideally be done to look into this.

Mr_Satellite :

Good

KarayanMD :

Blood testing wise, I would normally check a vitamin B12 and folic acid level, and make sure the basic metabolic panel is normal. Imaging wise, it might be useful to look at the cervical spine with an MRI, just to see if there is any damage to this area that could produce the symptoms in your arms and legs.

KarayanMD :

Otherwise, there are various medications that can help for numbness and tingling.

KarayanMD :

Actually, more for the tingling than the numbness.

KarayanMD :

This includes nerve pain medication such as gabapentin, Lyrica, Cymbalta, or nortriptyline.

Mr_Satellite :

I do have Iowacare/like Medicaid but I have to travel 100 miles and unless it is an emergency it can take months to get an appt. It would be also difficult to take off work if there were multiple visits.

KarayanMD :

So assuming this isn't an easily fixable problem such as low Vitamin B12 levels, medication may be your best bet.

KarayanMD :

Gabapentin might be a good starting point.

KarayanMD :

This is something you could ask a doctor about.

Mr_Satellite :

That sounds practical and I m sure you agree I can't go on taking Hydro.

KarayanMD :

Well, if it helps, and is being used in a controlled fashion under a doctor's direction, that could actually be an option too. But gabapentin might be a better bet, as it is not a narcotic.

KarayanMD :

Best wishes. Please let me know if there are more questions. Bonuses are always appreciated!

Mr_Satellite :

Ok thanks. And BTW I am using Hydro in a very controlled way. Interestingly Percocet is not as effective.

KarayanMD :

That is interesting, but every person responds to medication in different ways. We are all unique!

Mr_Satellite :

Yes and just as well in this case.

Mr_Satellite :

Thanks and I will go ahead and rate and close the question then

KarayanMD :

Thanks, ***** ***** luck!

KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)
KarayanMD
KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)