How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bob Your Own Question
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 5400
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Bob is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Woman age 56 becoming less and less mobile as inner thigh

This answer was rated:

Woman age 56 becoming less and less mobile as inner thigh muscle on each leg hard as a rock.
Dr. Bob :

Hello. Is the hardness due to fluid/swelling in the tissues? Is there pain in the region?

Customer: There is pain. It is more like they have hardened or calcified. I guess fluid is a possibility. Whatever lubricates them could it have gone dry?
Dr. Bob :

If it is fluid, and this can make tissues feel quite hard, it likely it would have increased your weight (water weighs about 2.2 pounds per liter and several liters can collect in soft tissues). Have you noticed an increase in weight since this started?

Customer: This started about 2 years ago. Maybe some weight gain but not too unusual. Difficult more all the time to get out of bed and move and go to work. Has been a moderate horse rider in the past. Can hardly get leg over bar to bicycle
Dr. Bob :

Is there weakness in the legs?

Customer: Yes there is weakness in the legs. She is becoming more unsteady on her feet as this goes on.
Dr. Bob :

Is she diabetic?

Customer: Not to her knowledge diabetic. At age 6 she underwent surgery for a removal of a brain tumor? She got along well, but does have some loss of vision.
Dr. Bob :

Does she have contractures? These are tight cramps of the muscles that do not release.

Customer: Do not know if she does. A possibility. Who should she see to check this out if so. How would that be treated?
Dr. Bob :

Given your description, I would think she would benefit most from seeing a physical medicine and rehab doctor (also called a physiatrist). They take a more holistic approach in looking at the patient and their particular history and envirnoment. They have specialized training in both neurology and orthopedics and work with a team of therapists and community resources to get individuals the care they need.

Dr. Bob and other Neurology Specialists are ready to help you