Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

4 months ago,I had a severe fall on my head. Injuries

4 months ago,I had a severe fall on my head. Injuries included C1 fracture,broken ribs and a blood clot. Had to wear a Vista brace on my neck for over 3 months and taking Xarelto for the clot. A few weeks ago I had a burning sensation on the left side of the back of my head. My head hurt to the touch on the outside. I have felt lightheaded, dizzy at times, have balance problems, even problems with my eyes focusing. When I raise my head up, It feels like something is settling and moving inside my head and it hurts. Also, I cannot sleep on my back due to the severe pain. The neck doctor says my fracture is healing well, but I know something is still wrong in my head and neck area. Should I see a neurologist and if so, what is the treatment for this type of injury? Thank you.
neuromd2012 :

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

neuromd2012 :

Hello

neuromd2012 :

I am waiting for you to come online

neuromd2012 :

in chat

neuromd2012 :

please come into the chat session

neuromd2012 :

as you are offline, I will leave you an answer, please get back to me with questions.

neuromd2012 :

what you describe, a burning sensation on the left side of the back of your head, coupled with the

neuromd2012 :

hyperpathic sensation, (it hurts to touch in that area)

neuromd2012 :

are classic symptoms for Greater Occipital Neuralgia

neuromd2012 :

the greater occipital nerve comes out of the cervical vertebra between C2 and 3 and then winds up

neuromd2012 :

through the C1 area, passing on the outside between muscles, to then go up the side of the back of your skull

neuromd2012 :

it provides sensation, and when pinched, will cause the symptoms you describe.

neuromd2012 :

Certainly given your history, this would be the most likely reason for the pain complaint.

neuromd2012 :

It would not, however, explain the visual symptoms, feeling lightheaded, and dizzy.

neuromd2012 :

just the pain/burning sensation

neuromd2012 :

I will leave you a webpage on GON (greater occipital neuralgia), the treatment is a nerve block .

neuromd2012 :

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/specialty_areas/headache/conditions/occipital_neuralgia.html

neuromd2012 :

In terms of the other symptoms, I would suggest you see a neurologist as you need a neurological examination to determine cause.

neuromd2012 :

please get back to me to discuss this further when you are online if I can help Dr Frank T

neuromd2012 : Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.
neuromd2012 : Hello
neuromd2012 : I am waiting for you to come online
neuromd2012 : in chat
neuromd2012 : please come into the chat session
neuromd2012 : as you are offline, I will leave you an answer, please get back to me with questions.
neuromd2012 : what you describe, a burning sensation on the left side of the back of your head, coupled with the
neuromd2012 : hyperpathic sensation, (it hurts to touch in that area)
neuromd2012 : are classic symptoms for Greater Occipital Neuralgia
neuromd2012 : the greater occipital nerve comes out of the cervical vertebra between C2 and 3 and then winds up
neuromd2012 : through the C1 area, passing on the outside between muscles, to then go up the side of the back of your skull
neuromd2012 : it provides sensation, and when pinched, will cause the symptoms you describe.
neuromd2012 : Certainly given your history, this would be the most likely reason for the pain complaint.
neuromd2012 : It would not, however, explain the visual symptoms, feeling lightheaded, and dizzy.
neuromd2012 : just the pain/burning sensation
neuromd2012 : I will leave you a webpage on GON (greater occipital neuralgia), the treatment is a nerve block .
neuromd2012 : http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/specialty_areas/headache/conditions/occipital_neuralgia.html
neuromd2012 : In terms of the other symptoms, I would suggest you see a neurologist as you need a neurological examination to determine cause.
neuromd2012 : please get back to me to discuss this further when you are online if I can help Dr Frank T