Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

2 days ago my wife fell on the floor hitting her head on the

2 days ago my wife fell on the floor hitting her head on the left hand side above her temple,
now she has swelling down the left hand side ,at the moment she is experiencing dizzy ness
when she stands up
Hi, this is Neuro Doctor and I am very glad to help you with your question.

Developing a swelling, some dizziness, some headache etc are common after hitting the head against something and these symptoms themselves automatically do not mean any serious head or brain injuries. There are certain major symptoms that raise the suspicion for a major head or brain injury, for example symptoms like loss of consciousness, vomiting, severe dizziness/fainting, facial droop, paralysis or weakness or arm or leg muscles, unequal sized pupils, confusion/disorientation, severe headache, occurrence of seizures etc. If your wife has not experienced or currently not experiencing any of the above mentioned major symptoms then this injury is most likely nothing serious. On the otherhand if she has or had any of the above symptoms since the fall then she needs to visit the emergency room for a thorough clinical examination and a CAT scan of the brain to explore the possibility of an internal bleeding or brain injury.

Once again I reassure you that if the swelling, dizziness, headache etc are the only symptoms and not severe then this is most likely not a serious head or brain injury, on the otherhand if there are any of the major symptoms mentioned above in that case you guys need to visit the emergency room as soon as possible and undergo a thorough clinical evaluation/examination followed by a CAT scan of the brain as mentioned earlier and then treated appropriately according the test results. In the meantime she may take as much rest as possible and also consume enough fluids and try tablet Meclizine which may help in controlling the dizziness which occurs on standing up.

Please let me know if you have more questions. And if you feel you have received the information you are looking for rate me “Excellent” to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards

Neuro Doctor