Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I sprained my right ankle a 4th time in early March. It

popped, swelled and it took...
I sprained my right ankle a 4th time in early March. It popped, swelled and it took a couple days to really walk on it. It seemed to get better, slowly but now it is so sore if I move it wrong. Going down steps, getting up from a chair moves my ankle wrong. On a thread I read about ankle impingement and read up on it. Could it be that?
4/8/2013
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Good Morning. I'm online and available to help you today.
Were you examined by a doctor or did you just take care of this at home?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

I went to free clinic about 10 days after I sprained it and the swelling wasn't getting any better. I was given the brace, an x-ray was done and was told it wasn't broken. I also have some pain on my bone and some nerve pain. That wasn't addressed at all.

Lisa,
Since you have had and xray my biggest concern is taken care of.
Since you are just a few days out from your sprain, the pain and difficulties are not unusual, especially for a rather severe incident. As a matter of fact, things usually get worse at about this point after the injury before they get better.
I think you should continue to use your brace, elevate your foot when you can and put ice on it.
While Dr. Google gives a lot of information without putting the data into the larger picture. From what you have posted I think you should (after you mash the excellent feedback button, of course) shut down your browser and turn off your computer :-) lol!
So. What is the take home message? Give things time to heal. That being said, if it is a continues to get worse have an orthopedic surgeon take a look at it. But, from what you have posted I think you will be find with a strong dose of "tincture of time"
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Have a good evening
Lisa,
Oops. It's April already isn't it? :(
It's been a few weeks and not days since your sprain....
I think you would be fine to continue the home therapy I discussed above but, if things don't improve over the next few days, perhaps a call to your local orthopod would be a good idea.
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

I don't have insurance, and MO Medicaid it a pain in the butt, even to get for my kids. I'm afraid the free clinic won't take me seriously and prob. doesn't even have an orthopeadist on staff. Is there anything I can do at home for the pain and are ankle exercises recommended at this point? Are there orthopaedists who work with their patients financially??

Lisa,
Yes. There are many orthopedic doctors who will work with you as far as billing goes. I do that frequently for my patients.
As far as what to do at home, I would continue to keep it elevated as much as possible, put ice on your ankle, wear the brace and try to take it easy for at least two more weeks.
Being the Father of 5 kids myself I know what you mean about health care
I hope you feel better soon :)
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD