How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 11315
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Rick, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the difference between a neurologist and an

Customer Question

What is the difference between a neurologist and an epileptologist?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 years ago.
A neurologist is an MD, who has gone to medical school and then done further training for 4 years in neurology with a Professor of Neurology and other experienced neurologists.
An epileptologist is a MD who is also a Board Certified Neurologist but who has gone on for further training in a Fellowship at a Academic center that focuses specifically on epilepsy, seizures and other conditions like that. AN epileptologist also does research in this field and teaches, usually at a major Medical Center.
So. What is the take home message? An epileptologist is the medical doctor who knows more about epilepsy, spells and seizures then any other doctor on the planet.
Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could you recommend an Epileptologistin Sydney?Could you also recommend other things to get me feeling better quickly after three brief seizures one morning whilst I was given a drug that reacted with my epilepsy for a sever back issue. My epilepsy had previously been stable for 20 years.Even diet tips etc?
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 years ago.
I have searched high and low and can not find a listing for a epileptologist in Sydney Australia. I have, however found a number of them in the USA. If you contact:
Alex Boro, M.D.
Montefiore Medical Center
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
111 E 210th St
Bronx, NY 10451
UNITED STATES (###) ###-####
I am sure, that as a long term member of the American Epilepsy Society, and a epileptologist himself, he would be pleased to hook you up with a colleague in Syndey.
Another option, if you don't want to make a call to the USA when the people in New York are awake (you are, after all on the other side of the planet :) would be to call the neurology department at the prince of Wales Hospital, which is a major university teaching hospital. Here is how you can contact them:
As to what you can take to make you feel better after three seizures, diet etc, that really is outside of my area of expertise.
That being said, I hope you have found my answers and efforts on your part to be helpful and will press the positive feedback button, mate :)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Related Neurology Questions