Dr. Garg
Dr. Garg, Other
Experience:  Neurologist. Expertise in MS, Dementia, Parkinson's Disease, Stroke, Peripheral Nerve Disorders
73350803

Last week I got a new attack of tinnitis. I can hear a high

Last week I got a new attack of tinnitis. I can hear a high buzzing right now at the computer. I think it's on both sides, but worse in the left ear. About one year ago I had a classic fast-onset attack of tinnitis also in the left ear. My activist MD had me take prentizone and an antibiotic. It went away after a few weeks and then came back slowly last week. Maybe the medication made it go away last time, maybe it just stopped naturally. Could it be seasonal? I wear foam earplugs every night, could that do it, germs?
I'd like to know if there is anything that can be done at this late date to stop it. I'm worried because my maternal genetic grandmom had it bad. Thank you.
Dr. Garg :

Hello

Dr. Garg :

There's a couple of things I would do including get your hearing checked

Dr. Garg :

with an audiogram, get an MRI done of the brain (CPA series) to make sure there's nothing that can be corrected

Dr. Garg :

if all those are normal, management of chronic tinnitus is actually very tough

Dr. Garg :

there's very little out there

Dr. Garg :

I doubt its seasonal

Customer:

Is it true that if you take prentizone and antibiotics within 48 hours of the onset, it can cure the tinnitis?

Is there anything I should know about what causes tinnitis, if there are any new medications. You see some advertised on the Internet.

9:49 AM

I just started taking zoloft after taking effexor for a long time. Could that cause it?

9:50 AM

Does a virus attack of the auditory nerve cause it? If so, once the nerve is damaged, does it ever go back to normal? Thanks.

9:51 AM

These are the things I need to know, so I selected "high detail. Thanks

Dr. Garg :

9:50 AM

Dr. Garg :

Zoloft nor effexor should not cause this

Dr. Garg :

Zoloft nor effexor should not cause this. A viral attack of the nerve may cause the tinnitus that your describing, typically if is it a viral infection it should go away with minimal effects

Dr. Garg :

meaning that the nerve should be okay

Dr. Garg :

There are no new medications that can be used to treat tinnitus

Customer:

I felt bad that maybe I should have gone on prentizone and antibiotics last week. Am I right?

Dr. Garg :

were you having hearing losss?

Customer:

No, that didn't occur.

Dr. Garg :

Typically I would always recommend to follow through on yoru doctors advice

Dr. Garg :

so yes you probably should have been on abx + prednisone

Dr. Garg :

please let me know if you have any other questions?

Customer:

Could I benefit from starting the medication now?

Dr. Garg :

I'm sorry, but we're not allowed to provide that type of advice to you

Dr. Garg :

having not seen you I can't tell you to start medication now

Dr. Garg :

I suggest you follow up with your doctor and ask him

Customer:

OK, thank you very much.

Dr. Garg :

Feedback appreciated

Dr. Garg :

PM with questions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I gave you a tip and a high rating promptly, same day. If you can't find it, you may be working for a bad service.

I'd like to share something with you for free, is that possible?

Thanks,

Brian