How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 11946
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 73 yrs old female. Recently my head has begun to shake

This answer was rated:

I am 73 yrs old female. Recently my head has begun to shake usually when I am relaxing is when I notice it. My MD has said it is not Parkinson's and has put me on propranolol 10 mg once a day. I recall my grandmother having this problem at a much younger age. Also, several years past I began to experience sudden jerking of my head infrequently mostly when I am showering. Should I see a neurologist?
Many people experience "tremor", and it is often seen to run in families as well.
Not all of the tremor is associated with Parkinson's disease, so I would guess that your doctor did not see any other features of Parkinson's.
Another common reason is essential tremor:
For which the propranolol can help.
Of course, having a neurologist evaluate you to get a second opinion would not hurt.
Dr. Mark and other Neurology Specialists are ready to help you