How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 11946
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have severe pain on my right side begining in the low back

This answer was rated:

I have severe pain on my right side begining in the low back and into the R buttock and it runs down my R leg until my foot begins to tingle, occasionally. A pain specialist diagnosed it as Frachetes Disease (excuse the spelling) and tried to numb the nerve first with shots and then with another procedure with electric current (I think) Needless to say nothing has worked and I am in constant pain. Do you recognize Frachetes Disease and is there really a way to treat it? Thank you for your consideration. Maureen Nichols. ***@******.***


Have you had a MRI of the lumbar spine?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no, the pain specialist did some x-rays to make sure there wasn't a slipped disc then an EMG? ithink that's what it was called. He used a probe like wire attached to electric current. then he ran it up and down both of my legs. that's the only other procedure prior to the nerve numbing procedure.


I would want to discuss with your doctor about getting a lumbar spine MRI, as this would help to diagnose one common reason for pain radiating down the leg -- a herniated disc "pinching" a nerve in the lower back.

Your symptoms sound like lumbar radiculopathy:

and the MRI is a much better test than a xray to evaluate this.

I'm not sure what they are referring to as "Frachetes" disease.

Dr. Mark and other Neurology Specialists are ready to help you