How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 11946
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What type of doctor treats muscle conditions? I have chronic

This answer was rated:

What type of doctor treats muscle conditions? I have chronic muscle pain, gastroparesis, paralyzed right breathing diaphragm - in general - muscle disorder.

Well, a rheumatologist is the doctor that often evaluates musculoskeletal medical conditions, and other diseases which can affect widespread muscles.


A neurologist often evaluates and treats the same types of conditions.


For pain issues, a physiatrist who specializes in pain management can be helpful with chronic muscle pain issues.


Gastroparesis would be best evaluated by a gastroenterologist.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am looking for a diagnosis - over 30 years of gradually increasing pain, weakness, gastroparesis, chronic pseudo intestinal obstruction, paralyzed right breathing diaphragm, etc. I have seen neurologists, rheumatologists, and gastroenterologists, and I am on serious pain meds - but no treatment or diagnosis of the CAUSE. They do tests, and say - "Nope, not caused by something in my specialty." Who should I see now? Is there a specialty for muscle disorders?

Unfortunately, there is not a specific specialty which treats "muscle disorders". This falls into the realm of multiple other specialties, mostly rheumatologists and neurologists.


There may not be a single condition which encompasses your symptoms, which may make it difficult for these doctors to find one clear reason for the "cause".


If you are interested in pursuing a further diagnosis, I would try getting another opinion from a rheumatology clinic which is associated with a large medical center -- where they would have a team of people that see the more challenging cases.

Dr. Mark and other Neurology Specialists are ready to help you