Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I was told I have a bulge at L5-S1 on the right after an

MVA. Does it make...
I was told I have a bulge at L5-S1 on the right after an MVA. Does it make sense that my pain is exclusively bilateral lumbar and then intensely down front and back of LEFT leg?
9/20/2012
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

No, that does not correspond at all.

A symptomatic right L5-S1 bulge could cause pain that radiates down the back of the right leg, to the bottom of the foot.

It would not have anything to do with pain down the front of the leg, much less the left leg.

Hi, I just had PT. Both piriformis muscles are exquisitely tight and painful to palpation (L>R). There were also multiple extremely painful trigger pts. As the therapist coursed the path of the sciatic n. perhaps the disc bulge is coincidental or minimally contributory to my mild right sided sxs. Could a rear end collision have caused all of this piriformis syndrome?

Well, an accident can certainly aggravate muscular issues and nerve issues, and so it certainly is possible.

But there isn't a test that can prove this, and piriformis syndrome can't be seen on a MRI, for example.

So possible - yes.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)