Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My last Brain MRI indicates mild chronic microvascular

My last Brain MRI indicates mild chronic microvascular disease. What does this mean? In what ways can the condition "present" itself?
neuromd2012 :

HI

neuromd2012 :

this is called leukoariosis or leukoencephalopathy. the concept is that this is a partial occlusion of the very small arterioles in the periventricular parts of your brain.

Customer:
neuromd2012 :

try hitting the enter button twice, I can't see what you wrote dumb chat system

neuromd2012 :
neuromd2012 :

to answer your question, long standing hypertension or diabetes are implicated in this, smoking doesn't help, you can also have a family history of this and with that possibly a family history of stroke or heart attack

Customer:

What types of systems are typical?

Customer:

I have had dizziness, unsteady gait, sensations of electrical charges throughout my body--especially my head.

neuromd2012 :

you can get ataxia, unsteady gait, dizzyness, but usually this problem is asymptomatic

neuromd2012 :

at least chronically

neuromd2012 :

do you have vertigo

neuromd2012 :

are you there?

Customer:

Then would you suggest I continue to seek other answers for my symptoms? I do not typically have vertigo though I have had 1 episode.

neuromd2012 :

hi yes the leukoariosis ( I use that phrase because I actually published the first MRI paper on this effect in 1989) is related to family history of stroke or heart attack, htn, diabetes, smoking, but it is a chronic thing, and rarely in itself causes symptoms, it might make symptoms worse, like if you do have vertigo from an inner ear problem, you can be much more symptomatic, but I would hunt for other reasons because this change is almost a normal variant when you are 65 and a woman

Customer:

Thanks so much. You have been a tremendous help! I will continue to seek other answers for my symptoms.

neuromd2012 :

ok no problem, get back to me if you have questions, if you are satisfied, please hit the accept button thanks *****

Customer: