How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stroke Doc Your Own Question
Stroke Doc
Stroke Doc, Board Certified Physician
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 51
Experience:  I am board-certified in Neurology and the subspecialty Vascular Neurology.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Stroke Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just was out for a walk with my dog and he pulled me and

Resolved Question:

I just was out for a walk with my dog and he pulled me and I went down. I fit the back of my head. I have a headache but I'm not feeling any other symptoms. I am 61 years old and have stent in my heart along with a defibrillator. What should I be looking for in the next few hours?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Stroke Doc replied 5 years ago.

From a "signs and symptoms of bleed in the head" standpoint, unusual sleepiness, nausea/vomiting, worsening headache, or focal neurological deficits (such as numbness or weakness, vision loss, speech changes, balance problems, etc.) should cause you to immediately go to the emergency department or call 911.


I always tell my patients--especially those taking blood thinning medications (aspirin, Aggrenox, Plavix, Pletal, Coumadin, etc.)--that if you fall and hit your head, it's never a bad idea to go to the emergency department and get checked out. There are a lot of people walking around in the world with bleeds inside their skull (such as "subdural hematoma"--where blood lies between the brain and the fibrous covering around the brain) that don't even know they have them. Most will never have significant symptoms, but some may get weak or have seizures. If you choose not to go to the emergency department, at least have someone stay with you, and both of you watch for symptoms I listed above.

Stroke Doc and other Neurology Specialists are ready to help you