Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I'm writing from Denmark and I have a few questions,

Customer Question
Hi I'm writing from Denmark and...
Hi
I'm writing from Denmark and I have a few questions, regarding physical training and eating habits.
I got epilepsy when I was 11, today I'm 22. I have Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy, tonic-clonic seizures. I haven't had one for 11 months -success- but I have concentration, memory and bodystress problems. My body can't handle any kind of stress, and when it happens, I can be "sick" for days and I'm not able to do anything at all. Which is why I can only work 25-30 hours a week. And that is something medicin can fix, so I thought I would try a little more alternative method by training and eating differently, but the question is do I do it right and can I do it better?
I work out minimum 3 times a week, unless I'm prevented. I do bodypump for an hour one or two times a week, mostly one, I go to a hula hoop class for half an hour once a week and I work machines: cross, strength training, hula and then i stretch twice a week. I really like strength training and bodypump. But what I would like to know is, what is best for an epileptic, cardio or strength training? Which one should I focus on?
I'm not fat or anything, I'm actually quite content with my body, but it wouldn't hurt if I lost a few kg, I would just like to eat healthy. I don't eat candy, chips or drink soda. Chocolate and cake, I only eat when on special occasions. I eat soured whole milk with muesli for breakfast, dark bread with low fat natural cream cheese and sometimes parmaham. I eat carrots and then a rather big meal for dinner. That is my weakness, dinner! What I would like to know is what am I doing wrong? I don't loose weight, it's like I gain actually, of course it could be related to my training but I should loose something, right? How can I do better? and what will I have to change?
And most important, can I improve my epilepsy seizures and concentration problems with what I have written?
I hope you can answar my questions.
Thank you.
Sincerely yours
Sara Christiansen
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Neurology
3/7/2012
Neurologist: Camille-Mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Camille-Mod

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Hi

Yes I'm still waiting for an answer. I hope you find an expert who can answer my question. Thank you

-Sara

Neurologist: Camille-Mod,
 replied 5 years ago

Thank you. Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly:-)

Neurologist: Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Hi Sarah,
Have you taken the opportunity to discuss your training program and diet changes with the neurologist who is helping you to manage your epilepsy seizures and concentration problems?

That you for replying.

Yes I have, but due to some financialproblems at the hospital and the always long cue for expertism I haven't been able to reach a neurologist, nurse or guidencecounselor who could help me. Things are turning around at the hospital, but it is always difficult to get an appointment and a good talk. It can take two weeks before they reply.

That is why I wrote to you, I think it is a good initiative and I just want to know what I can do better for myself. I'm 22, I'm taking an education, which normally takes 2 years to finish, in 12 weeks. I have homework and other engagements, but I still want to keep training, eventhough I'm busy.

I hope you will help, however if you think the best would be to talk with my own doctor, I understand and then I will take your advice.

-Sara

Sara,
I believe that what you are doing is a good idea but, as your condition and history is extensive I wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting any specific course of action as every epilepsy patient is so different as to what can trigger seizures and problems. As such -- and I'm sure you can understand this -- the very best person to advise you at this juncture is your own doctor; the person who knows your situation the best.
It sounds like you are getting excellent care from your current doctor. I wish you the best of luck in your education.
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD