Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

If you have pain in the lower neck behind and below the left…

Customer Question
If you have pain in...
If you have pain in the lower neck behind and below the left ear could this be a indication of a possible carotid artery blockage? Thanks. ALB
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Neurology
2/26/2012
Neurologist: Jack Scariano Jr, Neurologist (MD) replied 6 years ago
Jack Scariano Jr
Jack Scariano Jr, Neurologist (MD)

Carotid arter blockage is painless. Many other things in your neck such as vertebra, disks, lymph nodes muscles can cause such pain. The blockage would cause weakness in the right side of your body, facial wekness and speech problems. You should see your primary medical doctor for evaluation od this. The usual first treatment is physical therapy and medications unless other problems are seen on your examination. Dr S

Neurologist: JACUSTOMER-tkqxewwv-, Board Certified Physician replied 6 years ago
JACUSTOMER-tkqxewwv-
JACUSTOMER-tkqxewwv-, Board Certified Physician
Is the pain in the lower neck or the upper neck immediately below and behind you ear lobe?
JACUSTOMER-tkqxewwv-
the pain is in the lower neck, behind the jaw but toward the back of the neck.
I don't think I can tell you any more about what it could be. However, I doubt that it is a blocked carotid artery. The next step would be to see your primary care doctor to examine you and decide if other tests are need and what treatment would help.
The area behind the jaw is the upper neck, the area near the collar bone is the lower neck. So, exactly which area is it.