Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I am a 26 year old male who has a question. Despite reading

Hello. I am a 26...
Hello. I am a 26 year old male who has a question. Despite reading multiple sources online that pretty much say I have nothing to worry about, I still want to ask a Neurologist to be semi-sure (I say semi-sure because I am aware you cannot be completely sure without a visit).
I have been having muscle twitches all over. I always got them for as far as I can remember, starting only in my eye lid, but when it started in between my index finger and thumb, it got worrisome. It is a small twitch that comes and goes and some days it is there, some days it is not. Last night, my forearm to my thumb started to twitch briefly, but then stopped. Nevertheless, I get these twitches all over my body pretty much. Some move my entire thy, some are small and barely noticeable. I have no tremors, no weakness (besides perceived but I cant stand on one foot and do all the at home strength tests) and it does not wake me up when I am sleeping. I have had some type of muscle twitches besides the eye lid from years ago, for about 4-6 months now. Could be longer, but like I said, I have only recently started worrying about them.
I am on Suboxone medication 1mg x 2 daily. My blood work came back normal and I have generalized anxiety. The twitching and the worrying about the twitching has made my anxiety worse and has gotten me so worried at some points, it was hard for me to do daily functions because of my worry.
Sometimes, the group of muscle will feel soar or stiff, but I do not know if this is because I am getting small twitches in areas that are sore from doing stupid at home strength tests. I even took it as far as to measure my legs and they are both the same size.
Please, if there is anything else you need from me, please let me know. There is a good possibility I have nothing to worry about, but an answer from a Neuro would ease my mind substantially. The fear of ALS, MS, Parkinson's all scares the hell out of me.
2/21/2012
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
The most likely cause of your symptoms is called myokymia. Myokymia is an involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.
Myokymia commonly involves the eyelids and muscles around the orbit. It often appears and resolves for no apparent reason and has not been linked to any underlying significant pathology. What causes myokymia? Studies have shown that it is associated with anxiety, stress, lack of good sleep, high caffeine intake and the use of some drugs.
The best way to treat myokymia is to get more sleep, decrease caffeine intake and decrease stress. The good news is that myokymia is not a sign of serious underlying pathology and often resolves on its own.
Does this make sense to you?
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.
Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Wouldn't that suggest it would be around one area? I get twitches pretty much all over my body. The hand one may be it since it comes and goes but the random ones should not cause concern? I read a lot about BFS and they state unless some clinical weakness is involved it is most probably benign. (doctors hate to say always)
That is a very good question. In fact myokymia can occur anywhere on your body and can
You are correct in your research....your condition is, most likely (See, even I can't say always :), benign and nothing to worry about.
Let me know if I can do anything else for you. Take care.
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD