Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

What is the better treatment for 1.1cm meningioma in a

What is the better treatment...
What is the better treatment for  1.1cm meningioma in a parasagittal distribution adjacent to the left parietal lob: 1. gamma knife radiosurgery 2. surgery 3. growth of meningioma observation and CT once a year Thank you
3/2/2011
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
I think most people would probably choose choice number 3.

Meningiomas are very slow growing (typically) and if it is 1.1cm now, you will be able to catch it if it is growing.

But you want to take care of it before it becomes too large, and so it would make sense to have surgery to remove it before it got too large (and becomes more difficult to remove in surgery, with higher risk to injuring the adjacent brain tissue).

So, if it were to increase in size, considering you are young (and that it would continue to grow) -- surgical removal would be preferred.

Gamma knife would be the least preferred at the moment.
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

Thank you for the answer.

Please let me know why are you saying that "Gamma Knife" is the least preferred at the moment? I am asking you this because for me it is less frightening.

Gamma knife surgery is OK -- but it doesn't remove the tumor, and the tumor still has to be followed over time to make sure it doesn't grow.

The surgery is easiest when you are younger and healthy, and the tumor is small, and surgery has the potential for a cure.

We generally gamma knife tumors that are not easily accessible in the brain, or when the surgery is too dangerous to perform.
Thank you very much.
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)