Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I've had pain going down my LEFT leg from my hip for over a

Customer Question
year now. Recently, the...
I've had pain going down my LEFT leg from my hip for over a year now. Recently, the pain was localized around my knee so I was referred to an orthopedic surgeon. Both the CT scan and MRI show the knee and ACL being intact. An arthroscopy also didn't show much arthritis or any tear.
The pain is getting worse now. I can't stand for longer than 3 minutes without pain shooting down my leg mostly from my knee and sitting also shoots the pain down my leg. An MRI of the lumbar spine showed small left posterior disc herniation at the L5-S1 level. While the shooting pain is on the RIGHT side.
I am a very active 49 yr old female and would like to resume step aerobics and weight lifting exercises but nobody can diagnose and fix my problem.
Do you think a referral to a neurologist would help?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Neurology
3/2/2011
Neurologist: Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD) replied 6 years ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
You mention in the first line that you have had LEFT leg pain.

But then you say in your sixth line that the shooting pain is on the RIGHT side.

Are you having pain on both sides, or just one (and which one)?

The pain is only on the right leg. The reason I mentioned the left is because it is strange that the problem is in the left and the pain is in the right.

I think the problem is I keep changing where the pain is coming from and confusing the doctors, but the past few days I have noticed AGAIN that it does come from my right hip (IT bend) especially when I sit down and there is pressure on the thigh muscles. The pain then shoots down to my ankle and toes and it feels like my toes are cramping.

Sometimes I wonder if I hurt my hamstrings and calf during lunges (while carrying weights) last year and there is scar tissue. If there is scar tissue what tests can depict that? Will the neurologist just do an MRI of my back and if he doesn't see anything, tell me he can't help me? What other tests can they do to see where the pain is coming from?

The pain also seems to go down my ankle from the knee, just below the knee cap. I can actually touch that area and feel the nerve pain. Hope you can help because I have had it since May 2009 and since Oct 2010 it has gotten worse.

Relist: No answer yet.
I was asked a question and I responded but no answer yet.
Relist: I still need help.
I've had pain going down my right leg from my hip for over a year now. Recently, the pain was localized around my knee so I was referred to an orthopedic surgeon. Both the CT scan and MRI of the knee show the knee and ACL being intact. An arthroscopy also didn't show any severe arthritis or any torn meniscus. The doctor has now referred me to a neurologist but it will take a while before I get an appt.
The MRI of the spine stated the following: "At the L5-S1 level, there is a small left posterior disc herniation with small sequestrated fragment measuring 6mm which roduces slight posterior displacement and irritation of the proximal aspect of the left S1 nerve root within the canal. There is a mild milateral recess stenosis at that level, greater on the left side which would affect the existing L5 nerve roots". This however is all for Left but my pain is in the RIGHT leg. The pain starts after I walk for a block or stand for about 5 minutes. Sitting also hurts the leg. The pain is from the lower part of the hamstrings, back of my knee, to the top part of the calf. The pain is excruciating and goes down to my ankle and toes. Last Saturday when I went for a massage, while he was massaging the side of my hips (IT bend??) I felt the same pain going down my leg when he was pressing on the knot on both sides (L&R). I don't know if the pain was due to the pressure he was applying and my back was bending or whether there is a connection between the knot in my IT bend and the pain in my leg. Can you help me diagnose the source of the pain?
Relist: No answer yet.
I haven't seen any answers from you unless I don't know where to look for the answer. Please direct me to the answer.
Relist: No answer yet.
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)