Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

Experiencing pain from buttocks to leg to foot (left side),

Customer Question
pain can be debilitating and...
Experiencing pain from buttocks to leg to foot (left side), pain can be debilitating and affecting my mobility (crimp walk). other days my right leg is affected as well. pins and needles and muscle cramps (calf area as well). Are these symptoms affected my sciatic nerve? also experiencing lower, middle,neck and shoulder pains. Is this also because of the pinched nerve? other symptoms include tingling sensation around face andoccasional headaches. I am taking neurontin 100 mg twice a day (does this med cause side effects like what I am experiencing above) and B complex combo. Are these symptoms pinpoint to something like multiple sclerosis or any issue on the spine.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 6 days by:
2/24/2011
Neurologist: Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD) replied 6 years ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)

The pain from the buttocks and leg and foot -- fit with sciatic nerve irritation.

The fact that both legs are occasionally involved helps to pinpoint this to your lower back, the lumbar spine.

I would guess that you have a L4-5, or more likely an L5-S1 herniated disc in your lower back.

If you've been having this, discuss the possibility of a MRI of the lumbar spine with your doctor. This is not the typical presentation of MS.

Hi doc thanks. Had a lumbo sacral X-ray. Told there is straightening of the lumbar curvature. What does this mean?
That doesn't mean very much. It could mean your muscles are in spasm. It could also mean you are trying to compensate for other curvatures in your spine. But the test that is needed here is a MRI of the lumbar spine. The xray is good to see the bones, but cannot see the nerves.
Hi doc what muscle is in spasm. Back muscles? Can this also cause the symptoms associated with sciatica.? It's like this, I was taking neurontin for almost 8 days, dosage is 100mg 2x a day. No improvement. The pain in my buttocks is stabbing. Walk in crimp motion. Then I took celcoxib for 2 days. No improvement. Afterwhich I took mefenamic acid dolfenal , which caused me an allergy. I was not allergic to it before but now it's my allergen. But the instant effect was my buttocks pain disappeared. Today is the 3rd day. At the same time I took the mefenamic I did took myonal , a muscle relaxant. Which I don't if this also helped. So now I'm taking neurontin once a day with myonal once a day as well. No more mefenamic for me. I cannot take it. Don't when will the buttocks pain will come back. Though until today still feel the pins and needles in my legs and left foot

Just to summarize,

Taking neurontin once a day 100 mg

Taking myonal, muscle relaxant once a day

Taking B complex supplement once a day

Taking antihistamine for the urticaria, 2x a day...

Since no pain in the buttocks, and stopped the mefenamic acid drug which caused my allergy...no pain killer is taken...

Please advise...

Im scheduling my MRI.

You can have cramping, or muscle spasms, or shooting pains with the nerve irritation. This can feel like sciatica. The fact you had some pain, and still have pins and needles sensation definitely sounds as if a nerve has been irritated, and that a MRI will be helpful in your evaluation.

Best of luck.
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Hi Dr MArk
I had the LS MRI.. results negative for disc herniation but mentioned straightening again. Does the nerve irritation really does not go away. It has been almost a year.
The discomfort does not go away. Im experience weakness in my right leg already.
It starts with pain in my buttocks area..shooting pains...and then it would lead to difficulty walking. What I am experiencing are shooting and stabbing pains that when I try to bend i felt i will fall down due to the weakness in the leg.
When I take pain meds it lessens..Now Im taking arcoxia.
Please reply.Thanks.

I would discuss this with your neurologist.

They may suggest a test called an EMG to look for nerve damage, and where and what type of damage this may be. They can also examine the MRI to make sure there isn't anything that was overlooked.

Thanks Dr MArk.
I had EMG test and results was negative..all ok.
In the MRI of the LS, will you see issues in the sacroiliac joints, or other issues of the pelvic area. Will the problem on the sciatic nerve will also be seen or any mass formation for that matter?

In addition this is my previous post just for your review.

Im back. Got my mri, says straightening of the lumbar spine. And also had toraco xray, says straightening as well.
Right now the ff are experienced, buttocks pain, pain on the area of the hip bone and also on the quads, specially on the quads radiating in my knee. And also in both feet. Some tingling.
What im also surprised is also my hands are affected specially the bones on base of the fingers.
I also have feelings that they are sometimes swollen like edema in the fingers.
If pain in the buttocks near tailbone area and also in the buttocks area ( deep location) i have super pain and difficulty to walk and move.
Arcoxia helped.
Please advise and check. Thanks
Has been months and no diagnosis still. Help.
Btw, i also have back pains recently i experienced when i inhale there is pain in the middle back.
Lower back...when I bend forward...then buttocks near tailbone...i can feel veins below the tailbone when pressed causing the pain. The pain also causes strain in my glutes and side muscles of the legs..going to the knee...thats why the difficulty to walk.Limpy walk.
Please help.

Please reply

You do not see the sacroiliac joints typically on a lumbar spine MRI.

You can see the L5 and S1 nerve roots (which are the origin of the sciatic nerve) but you do not see the sciatic nerve itself.

A normal EMG suggests that there is no severe nerve damage.

Hi dr mark,
What other tests should be performed since last Sept 2011
My MRI LS is negative.
No herniated disc or nerve compression findings.
Pls advise.

Perhaps seeing your doctor and asking for evaluation for muscle pains (myalgias) and other rheumatologic issues, since your nerves appear to be OK, would be worthwhile.

Hi dr
Leg athropy can you consider as myofascial or nerve issue.
What tests are considered for myofascial diseases. Can you provide
So i can suggest to my dr as well.
Pls help
I would just ask for a referral to a rheumatologist. They can evaluate you and order the appropriate tests. EMG testing should have caught any severe muscle issues or nerve issues.
Hi doc,
I see i ve been to rheumatologist as well.
Tested negative for SLE and RH factor is normal.
Uric acid level is also normal. Im lost.
Worthwhile to mention dr, recently i noticed my calf muscle
In the leg, the leg which i experience the frequent athropy is smaller
Than my left calf muscle.
Can you comment
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what would be going on here. Your doctors seem to have given you a thorough evaluation, and it would be impossible to figure it out over the Internet, as it appears all of your tests have been unrevealing.
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)