Ask Dr. Sophie :: Neurology Your Own Ques...
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology, Clinical Neurophysiology :: U of California
19824690

My head feels like it has a tight hat on, My eyes feel like

Customer Question

my head feels like it has a tight hat on, My eyes feel like they want to pop out and I feel like you do when your so exhausted before you go to sleep I have had this for about 8 years, I have drop feet and the neurology doctors say it contributes to this. Should I see a Otolaryngology doctor?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Sophie :: Neurology replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like you have chronic tension headache which patients describe as a vise tightening around their head. A good medication for chronic tension headache is a muscle relaxant such as Robaxin or Flexeril. Botulinum injections are also helpful because they relieve tension in the tight muscles.

If you feel exhausted all the time your internist should check your complete blood count, folate, vit B12 and vit D level, thyroid panel and possibly adrenal function and testosterone level. Some of these tests may have been done, but I would make sure they were normal. Abnormalities in these areas can cause chronic fatigue, tiredness and headaches.

Unless you have face pain or tenderness, nasal discharge, nasal or sinus congestion, chronic cough, hearing problems or ear ringing an ENT specialist may not be able to do a lot for you.

If it seems you get enough hours of sleep but wake up tired, it may be due to sleep apnea (abnormal interrupted breathing during sleep). A sleep study, or polysomnogram would be helpful.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have another question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't have headacks and I never hurt. I am not exhaused my head fells like it when you are exhusted. I have had sleep apnea study.
The feeling you have of tight hat being on your head is due to muscular tension, or mucle spasm in the muscles under the scalp -- frontalis, temporalis, etc.

This sensation can be relived by taking medicine like methocarbamol (robaxon) or cyclobenzaprine (flexeril).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
you don't think this woulnn't come from my drop feet. Do I need a perscribtion for these meds.
Foot drop is most often due to neuropathy (nerve condition) or pinched spinal nerve roots, and less often due to muscle condition (muscle near your shin bone).
It would be very unsual for it to be caused by the head or brain problem.
These medications are by prescription in the US. You can probably phone your doctor's office and ask if your doctor would prescribe one of them if you have been seen recently.