Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I have fallen twice in two weeks, both times ending up in…

Customer Question
I have fallen twice in...
I have fallen twice in two weeks, both times ending up in the hospital. I have had a low fever, but gone now after application of antibiotics. One place in Web-md says that falling can be attributed to an infected urniary tract. Comment, please
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Neurology
7/4/2010
Neurologist: Dr Basu, Board Certified MD replied 7 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Board Certified MD

Thanks for your question.

Urinary tract infection or any infection in fact at your age can cause falls.

Infection causes low blood pressure, dizziness due to systemic inflammatory reactions.

Antibiotic treats the infection & improves the condition.

Dehydration is also commonly associated. Hence, drinking of adequate liquids is also advised.

Other possibilities of sudden falls include underlying heart disease & stroke or TIA.

These conditions can be ruled out with EKG, Echocardiogram & Brain MRI scan.

You may consider seeing your primary care doctor for these tests.

Also drink plenty of fluids & eat healthy to boost your immune system which will prevent further infections.

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Board Certified MD