Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My wife's creatin level (cpk) test was 278 (range24-170)-she…

Customer Question
my wife's creatin level (cpk)...
my wife's creatin level (cpk) test was 278 (range24-170)-she has been unable to walk and getting worse these past 2 years-she takes crestor and celebrex-she has frequency of urination-swelling of her ankle and legs-she takes lasix and vesicare.she has a physical trainer twice weekly trying to build up her leg muscles. i have taken her to many clinics and rehabs over the past 5 years (5 yrs ago a metal ladder hit her on her head).every doctor and pt has no answer why she cannot walk. do you have any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/29/2010
Neurologist: Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD)

How long has she been on Crestor?

Are her legs tight or stiff in addition to being weak?

Does she have any numbness or pain?

What was her neurological exam like -- do you know?

What test has she had so far? (MRIs, EMG, what blood tests??)

1. on crestor for 2 years-stopped crestor yesterday-found out can effect creatin level

2.yes, legs and knees very tight and stiff,but not weak-her trainer said they are strong

3 no numbness

4 had nerve conduction test -results-negative-sciatic problems which we knew

5 tests run-mri's,x-ray on knees,following blood tests: b12&folate,giladin ig/a/eia,tsh,t4 direct s,creatin kinase,magnesium serum,triiodthyronine,antipancreatic islet,ife pe,basic metabolic panel,ana c reflex,rheumatoid arthritic factor,uric acid,sed rate westergren,aldolase, & c-reactive protein. anti gad & anti amphiphysin lab did not know how to do those last tests. all results normal except creatin kinase at 280

Hello again,

It sounds like she had a lot of studies. Anti-GAD and anti-amphiphysin antibodies are usually send-out studies to larger labs like Athena Diagnostic and local labs are typically unable to process these requests. I would consider resending them.

Statin drugs have been long known to cause myopathy is susceptible patients and result in elevated CK. Your wife's CK elevation is mild and it is not what is causing her symptoms.

If she already had a thoracic and lumbar spine MRI and her EMG was OK, it suggests that the problem may be in the central nervous system -- the spinal cord. Having said that, EMG may miss abnormalities if the muscle areas sampled happen to be normal or borderline normal. Her current neurologist should consider spinal tap and muscle biopsy (after she has been off Crestor for a few months) to exclude inflammatory process in the CSF and metabolic disorder of the muscle. Infectious causes such as HTLV-1 myelopathy (screening blood test), hereditary form of spastic paraparesis and primary lateral sclerosis should also be considered.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have another question.

I noticed you read my answer a while ago and did not post any further questions.

You also did not accept my answer.

If you have further questions, please ask. If not, I would appreciate if you clicked Accept.

Thank you.