Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Last week me and my partner where making love and when I…

Customer Question
Last week me and my...
Last week me and my partner where making love and when I came close to an orgasm and afterwords I got a blinding, pulsating headache that stretched from the lower left central area of my neck to the top of my head. After it eased off there was slight discomfort the next day.
The day after on Sunday during sexual arousal the blinding pain came back and I still pain on the left back of my head.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/28/2010
Neurologist: Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD)

Sexual activity and an orgasm can trigger a headache in some people. This is called sexual headache.

You may either notice a dull headache and neck pain that builds up as sexual excitement increases or, more frequently, experience a sudden and severe headache before or during orgasm.

Most of the time these headaches are benign, but in some cases they may be an ominous sign and herald a serious problem with a blood vessel in the brain (ex. aneurysm) or be a sign of a brain mass.

Since it sounds like it was a first headache of this type for you, I suggest you get evaluated ASAP, especially that the headache continues.

Hope this helps.

This was the first time this has happend and i still have the headache and feel quite strange,light headed and sweaty. I have a doctors appointment in three days should I wait that long or go to the hospital.
If I were your physician, I would tell you to get evaluated today, as soon as possible.

You need a head CT asap.