Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

2years ago my husband suddenly became disoriented, confused…

Customer Question
2years ago my husband suddenly...
2years ago my husband suddenly became disoriented, confused and unable to function normally, he also has a shuffeling unbalanced gait. he was hospitalized and was diagnosed with dementia/Alzeheimers. he is currently under the care of a psychiatrist and is taking seroquel, namenda zoloft and the exelon patch with no real improvcement. to the best of my knowledge neither of these conditions present themselves literally overnight as in his case. When I asked the doctors about the possibility of his having NPH they blew me off. He has also had a floroscopic lumbar puncture no bleeding was indicated and the MRI showed just normal changes due to aging, he is 72 yrs old. there were no plaques noticed and no indication of CVA. Where can I find help for him as this has caused a radical change in his quality of life?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/28/2010
Neurologist: Dr. F, Board Certified MD replied 8 years ago
Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Does he have any other medical problem?
-when they did the LP did they measure pressure or take off a volume of fluid?
-Did they check his thyroid and B12 levels?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
he has coronary artery disease, 5 drug eluting stents were placed in2005 excellent results. However in 2007 he had a mucocele appendix removed and had problems coming out of anesthesia, he became combative and was given more drugs to reduce this reaction, I believe that he was given Ativan. and started having memory impairment problems for a while. he thought he was back in Vietnam, so the first diagnosis was PTSD. when he was hospitalized for the dementia/alzeheimers episode his b12 levels and thyroid levels were checked and were within normal ranges

I am sorry to hear of your husbands dementia.

The diagnosis of NPH (normal pressure hydrocephalus) is always worth considering. The features of dementia, poor walking (gait apraxia...literally forgetting how to walk) and incontinence are seen in most, but not all patients.

You may have to search to find a center which will work on this with you. A trial of spinal taps with drainage of fluid followed by evaluations, will help to tell if he has this problem. If he does, a diversion of the spinal fluid, called a shunt, may improve him.

Sadly, of all the people with dementia, this is but a small group, but it is worth a try.

This answer is for information only. It cannot and should not be substituted for or the recommendation of your doctor

Good day,

Is there anything else you would like me to consider or comment on, in order for you to accept my answer?