Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have sciatica in my right hip. It started the end of

Customer Question
November of 2009 but was...
I have sciatica in my right hip. It started the end of November of 2009 but was mild. In February, it got acute. I went to my doctor and she put me on stepdown Prednisone and sent me to a physical therapist who gave me exercises. It helped tremendously. I kept up the exercises, but in the last month, the tingling which I experienced down my right leg turned in a sore hip with little tingling. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do now. I don't want surgery, but when I first get up, the pain is excruciating until I do my exercises and sit with the hip elevated for about an hour or more.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/26/2010
Neurologist: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Welcome to Just Answer...

Sorry to hear about your problem...

Well it is clearly evident that now you have worsening neurological features and it warrants intervention...

Short of surgery, you can use pain medications like Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs like motrin, muscle relaxants like tizanidine, and for paresthesias (abnormal sensations) you can benefit from gabapentin or pregabalin...

Moreover, nerve blocks, and other modalities for relieving pain like spinal cord stimulation and implantable intrathecal drug administration systems can also be used...

However, you should see your doctor for a comprehensive clinical examination and MRI of the spine, which will help to decide what is the best treatment strategy in your case...

I hope this answers your question...

Kindest Regards...

What causes this sciatica and why is it worsening?
Neurologist: Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD)

Thank you for your request.

Sciatica, or sciatic nerve impingement can occur anywhere along the course of the nerve from the spinal column to the muscles, however, a very common reason for sciatica are spinal disc bulges that can pinch the nerves and narrowing of the nerve canals-- as in arthritis. Another cause, altough less common, is piriformis syndrome which results from the sciatic nerve being pinched by a buttock muscle.

Oral prednisone (a corticosteroid drug) is a good anti-inflammatory agent but even better type of treatment is when corticosteroid is injected into the space where the nerve exists the spine. This effectively treats the inflammation, tissue swelling and hence treats the pain.

Epidural spinal injection be would the most practical way of relieving your pain if you want to avoid surgery.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology