Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I have had many MS symptoms for about 12years had mri about

Customer Question
10yrs ago showed ubo`s...
I have had many MS symptoms for about 12years had mri about 10yrs ago showed ubo`s . Was signed off but my eyes and leg problems saw me back again and still been seen about every 8 months. im 59 yrs old ...not sure i want a diagnosis as if i do my Nurologist says this is when he would begin treatment. After all this time realise treatment isnt a cure and could possibly not be such a wise course to go down. I have recently the past 2 yrs got much worse Legs and Arms...with some damage im sure now. But i still think its possible i do better without intervention. I also get double vision and lowering of vision especially in the warmer weather. I also get sharp pain in my legs ..especially the right..leg which has recently started in the right arm ..when this happens in the leg it gives way and i end on the floor..i do use a stick now so i can stop it happeneing . what would you advice i do ..do u think not haveing treatments and doing it the way i am without tratment can work and not make the long term worse ..at my age ...although i have relapses this has been more of a chronic situation.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/24/2010
Neurologist: Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD) replied 7 years ago
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD)

The disease-modifying drugs like Avonex, Betaseron, Copaxone and Rebif do affect MS progression, so if you indeed have MS as your symptoms suggest I would consider spinal tap to check for oligoclonal bands and to get IgG index help establish the diagnosis and start treatment.
Starting treatment now may mean many years of relatively better health rather than progression to more severe disability.
Since you have a lot of symptoms in your limbs, I would do a cervical and thoracic spine MRI if it hasn't been done recently as the spinal cord lesions are common in MS.
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology