Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Im in severe pain i have a few syrinxs throughout my neck…

Customer Question
im in severe pain i...
im in severe pain i have a few syrinxs throughout my neck and back i always have a flair in my brain what kind of doctor should i see
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/24/2010
Neurologist: Dr Singh, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr Singh
Dr Singh, Doctor
You should be seen by a neurologist. Depending on your diagnosis you may need to be evaluated by a neurosurgeon. Regards.

i did .. can the syrinx cause severe feet pain such as burning and when i walk i feel like my heels and the balls of my feet are bruised serverly and also my calf muscles feel like i was working out and i worked out to hard and the muscles are very sore

Neurologist: Jack Scariano Jr, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 years ago
Jack Scariano Jr
Jack Scariano Jr, Neurologist (MD)

I am not sure what you call a "Flair"??

A syrinx is a dilatation of the central canal of the spinal cord. Teh cause of it is trauma, post tumot or radiation, or just unkown. Unkown is the most common type. Many patients who have neck and back pain have a incidental finding on the MRI of a syrinx when the real cause of the pain is disk, joints, muscles and arthritis in the neck and back.

Since the advent of the MRI, the incidence of Syrinx has markedly climbed.

There is not really any good treatment for a syrinx unless it is very large, even then the surgery is to stop further disection of the cord .Treating the symptoms and secondary side effects is what is done.

The surgical treatment is a wick. Jist like a candle wick, a sterile cloth is placed within the dilated cord to prevent pressure from causing further dilatation. This is a huge operation. I witnessed one on a patient of mine. It took 4 hours and her spine pain is no better now then it was before surgery.

Like the brain, the spinal cord has feels no pain since it does not have pain specific nerves in it.

The main symptom is a disassociation between temperatue and position in the affected limp. That is your arm may feel touch, but not pain or heat. so you are always burning yourself. This can really cause a lot of problems and injuries.

I do not know why you have foot and calf pain, but I do not think it has anything to do eith the syrinx. further diagnosi and treatment would be needed

One thing however that you must avoid is increasing your intraspinal pressure by straining. When you strain to have a bowlel movement or to lift weights the pressure in you spinal column and on your cord may double. Over thim this leads to enlargement of the syrinx which can worsen the mentioned symptoms.

You may need stool softeners afor your bowls and do no heavy liofting or workouts. Upper extremity and cardio exercize is fine.

Hope this helps.

DrS