Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I had an MRI with contrast done and in the results its

Customer Question
Hello, I had an MRI with...

I had an MRI with contrast done and in the results its stating minimal nonspecific white matter disease and tiny nonspecific focus of abnormal signal in the right mid brain which may be related to an old lacunar infarct. Does that mean I may have had a tiny stroke and not have known about it?? It also states I have a tiny focus of enhancement in the right parietal region which may represent a possible tiny AVM. Also states a tiny focus of enhancement identified in the right parietal region centrally and measuring 2mm. Is that the AVM? If so is that large, small, ????? How serious is that?

Thank you for your time, Jennifer
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/20/2010
Neurologist: Dr. F, Board Certified MD replied 8 years ago
Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD

Dear *****nifer,

When a radiologist looks at an MRI study, they must make note of every deviation from completely normal that is seen, and offer some sort of explanation for what they see.

It is the duty of the ordering physician to put this report in connect and relate it to the patients condition The emphasis on this report is MAY ....may represent an infarct. ...may represent an AVM. That means that the likelihood is that you have a variant of normal that looks a little unusual, but if you had signs or symptoms that went along with those problems, the doctor in charge should respond to the situation.

2mm is very small and almost certainly is nothing serious.

If you had even a small stroke in your midbrain you would be quite disabled so that is unlikely that you would not have known about it .

Bot***** *****ne: It's all likely OK. Please talk it over with the doc who ordered the scan to put it in the context of whatever problem prompted the scan to be ordered.

Thank you for the opportunity to help you. To give me credit for my time and effort, please press the ACCEPT button for this answer. After that, I will still be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

This answer is for information only. It cannot and should not be substituted for or the recommendation of your doctor