Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

What causes low tone in muscles and difficulty controlling…

Customer Question
What causes low tone in...
What causes low tone in facial muscles and difficulty controlling drooling and poor tongue movements after being hit by a car and having a brain injury?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/14/2010
Neurologist: Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD)
I spent a lot of time on your other question. You chose to reject my answer.

Flaccid paralysis in the face and tongue, drooping eyelid is caused by cranial nerve injuries or brain injury.

She clearly has diffuse axonal injury from her TBI and her signs and symptoms including cognition and personality changes localize to multiple areas of the brain.

When evaluating a patient with TBI 4 years ago and finding mixed UMN and LMN signs, you can attribute some LMN (ex. cranial nerves) to the injury but if you are not open minded, you will miss an important diagnosis like spinal cord, plexus or nerve root injury.

With bladder and bowel dysfunction she can have a lesion in the spinal cord.

Anything can happen with traumatic brain injury and presentation are variable as there are TBI patients.