Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My left arm & hand are numb, but I can raise my left arm but…

Customer Question
My left arm & hand...
My left arm & hand are numb, but I can raise my left arm but my hand is the biggest problem. could I have had a stoke. This has been going on for about six weeks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/9/2010
Neurologist: Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD)

1. How old are you?
  2. Did it happen suddenly? Is it progressive or pretty much the same?
  3. Is it the entire arm and hand that is numb?
  4. Any pain?
  5. Any numbness or tingling in the face?
  6. Any medical problems or history of trauma?

I'm not certain if your received my questions.

If you have pain, it may be related to your cervical spine nerve roots being pinched or the brachial plexus.

Nonetheless, if the numbness is in the whole arm and hand and you have some degree of weakness, and it is not getting better then there is a good chance it was a stroke.

You should get a brain MRI. Your primary doctor can order it for you and then refer you to a neurologist for neurological examination and further studies if needed, as well as physical/occupation therapy.

Hope this helps.
I noticed you read my answer a while ago and did not write any further questions.

You also did not accept my answer.

Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, I would appreciate if you clicked Accept.

Thank you.