Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My wife had a baby 5 weeks ago. Throughout the pregnancy she…

Customer Question
My wife had a baby...
My wife had a baby 5 weeks ago. Throughout the pregnancy she experienced numbness in her hands and feet. Since the baby has been born these issues have continued and she has a hard time moving her right foot. Her family Dr. thinks it might be MS. How should we best proceed?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/9/2010
Neurologist: Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD)

It is not uncommon for pregnant women to develop carpal tunnel syndrome and mild neuropathy in their feet, especially as the pregnancy progresses and they gain weight.

It would be important to rule out the above by doing a good neurologic exam and EMG (nerve and muscle) test and checking her thyroid, blood sugar and vitamin B12 level at the minimum.

Now, if she has problems with moving her foot she may have developed post-partum foor drop which can rarely happen during delivery especially if the baby is large, there is prolonged labor or difficult delivery but these are not always necessary for it to occur.

It is important that she has a brain and lumbar spine MRI in addition to the blood studies and EMG test especially if the neurologist's examination finds signs that would suggest the problem could be in the brain or the spinal cord.

I hope she feel better. I understand how difficult it is to experience what she does and take care of a new baby.

Please let me know if you have another question.
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology
Thank you for the information. She also had an epidural. Could that have caused nerve damage that would cause the drop foot?
It would be rare to injure a nerve root during the procedure and she would feel sudden pain if it happened.
A blood clot that formed as a result of an epidural, conceivably, could exert pressure and produce foot weakness. This would be evaluated with an MRI as well.

You are welcome.