Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm 23. I have weird things hapen with me all the time. I am…

Customer Question
Hi, I'm 23 my name...
Hi, I'm 23 my name is Rebecca. I have weird things hapen with me all the time. I am wondering if there is something wong in my brain. I forget what I'm talking about in the middle of saying it, and this is often, it seems to have become worse also. Sometimes it happens 3 times within 10 minutes. I have to ask the person I'm talking to what I just said, in order to continue saying what I was saying. I'm easily distracted when trying to talk, but I'm able to focus and listen to others just fine. It's just when I try to say something. My friends have told me that sometims I just stop talking and then silent for a while, or I repeat myself. I'm a smart person, but this stuff seems to be out of my control, and its annoying to me and people probably think I'm on drugs or something, and I'm not. I also tend to loose my balance every now an then, or have this feeling like I'm about to lose my balance. What could this all be? Some of it I have dealt with my whole life.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/8/2010
Neurologist: Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD)

How long has it been going on?

Did your friends tell you how long these spells last?

Which symptoms have you dealt with your "whole life"?
Its all been going on for a long time. At least 5 years. There are just times when it seems to be better than other times, and lately it just seems to be more often and more noticeable to others. They don't usually say anything but I can tell they think something is off. I used to just try extra hard to focus, but that doesn't seem to matter anymore. I think the times when I just sort of pause and I'm silent, last anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes...I'm not sure. I know that if a friend starts talking to me I do sort of wake up I guess, and pay attention again. I think that it mostly happens when I talk though, I'm pretty good at listening and paying attention to others. The repeating myself thing I have done most of my life, but its not all the time. I think I do it because I forget I already said it. Sometimes I realize it and I'll say, "hey I said that twice didn't I?"
Hi again,

At this point the most important thing to rule out is absence epilepsy. Absence seizures are very short-lasting seizures and are often called "staring spells" and people can appear as if they day-dreaming when they happen.

You need an EEG (brain wave study), brain MRI and an evaluation by a neurologist.

I hope this helps.
Thanks
You're welcome.

Even if it turns out that you have absence epilepsy, it's not life-threatening and it is a treatable condition.
ADD and migraine variants are other things to consider, but epileptic etiology (cause) should be ruled out first.

Best wishes.
I noticed you read my answer a while ago and did not write any further questions.

You also did not accept my answer.

Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, I would appreciate if you clicked Accept.

Thank you.