How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask California Pediatric Neurologist Your...
California Pediatric Neurologist
California Pediatric Neurologist, Pediatric Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 11
Experience:  4 years experience, board certified in pediatrics, neurology, and clinical neurophysiology
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
California Pediatric Neurologist is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you wanted to get a second opinion on a MRI. How would you

Customer Question

If you wanted to get a second opinion on a MRI. How would you go about it. Also cost wise is there a big difference in a MRi of your whole back and just a lumbar of your lower back.If so about how much difference?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  California Pediatric Neurologist replied 7 years ago.
You can get a second opinion from any radiologist that is willing to read it. You could check at the same place you did the MRI to see if another radiologist there would read it. Or go to a different center. If you are near a university center they should have academic radiologists that would probably give the most complete read. Another option is to call your insurance and ask them where they would cover you to go for a second opinion on the MRI. Whether or not you need just the lumbar spine vs. the entire spine depends on your symptoms, what the original study showed. For example, if it is for disc bulges just in that region, then you don't need the entire spine. There is a cost difference, but each center that does MRI's would charge different prices. Ask the individual MRI center. I hope this is helpful
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If you have pain in your shoulder and upper back would that come from disc that are out in your neck? Also if you are complaining of pain in several area's of your back would it not be smart to have a full spine MRI?
Expert:  California Pediatric Neurologist replied 7 years ago.
With pain in the upper back and shoulder, an MRI of the cervical (upper) spine would be all that is necessary. Disc problems in the thoracic spine causes mid back pain, not shoulder pain. Disc problems in the lumbar (lower) spine cause lower back and leg pain. If there is pain in several locations then an entire spine would be useful.
California Pediatric Neurologist and other Neurology Specialists are ready to help you