Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

If you wanted to get a second opinion on a MRI. How would

Customer Question
you go about it. Also...
If you wanted to get a second opinion on a MRI. How would you go about it. Also cost wise is there a big difference in a MRi of your whole back and just a lumbar of your lower back.If so about how much difference?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/3/2010
Neurologist: California Pediatric Neurologist, Pediatric Neurologist (MD) replied 7 years ago
California Pediatric Neurologist
California Pediatric Neurologist, Pediatric Neurologist (MD)
You can get a second opinion from any radiologist that is willing to read it. You could check at the same place you did the MRI to see if another radiologist there would read it. Or go to a different center. If you are near a university center they should have academic radiologists that would probably give the most complete read. Another option is to call your insurance and ask them where they would cover you to go for a second opinion on the MRI. Whether or not you need just the lumbar spine vs. the entire spine depends on your symptoms, what the original study showed. For example, if it is for disc bulges just in that region, then you don't need the entire spine. There is a cost difference, but each center that does MRI's would charge different prices. Ask the individual MRI center. I hope this is helpful
If you have pain in your shoulder and upper back would that come from disc that are out in your neck? Also if you are complaining of pain in several area's of your back would it not be smart to have a full spine MRI?
With pain in the upper back and shoulder, an MRI of the cervical (upper) spine would be all that is necessary. Disc problems in the thoracic spine causes mid back pain, not shoulder pain. Disc problems in the lumbar (lower) spine cause lower back and leg pain. If there is pain in several locations then an entire spine would be useful.
California Pediatric Neurologist
California Pediatric Neurologist
California Pediatric Neurologist