How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask California Pediatric Neurologist Your...
California Pediatric Neurologist
California Pediatric Neurologist, Pediatric Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 11
Experience:  4 years experience, board certified in pediatrics, neurology, and clinical neurophysiology
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
California Pediatric Neurologist is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son, 28 yrs. old, had Chiari decompression on March 18,

Resolved Question:

My son, 28 yrs. old, had Chiari decompression on March 18, 2009. He still has head pressure pain, right sided neck pain, and for the past 5 months thoracic pain, left side original from a pulmonary embolism after surgery, but now he is experiencing pain on the right side also.
His life seems to be just pain and depression and he tells me that he doesn't want to live anymore.
What are my options.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  California Pediatric Neurologist replied 7 years ago.
After neurosurgery people can continue to experience Chronic pain. Was it chronic headaches that lead to the original surgery? an absolute indication to do the surgery is if it is causing raised intracranial pressure (raised pressure of the fluid in the brain, which usually causes changes in the retina), or weakness of the legs. After surgery, if the pain continues then chronic pain medications should be started. Amitriptyline is a common one, and also doubles as an antidepressant. There are others as well that can help - neurontin, topamax. He should go to a chronic pain clinic, because they have other treatments such as biofeedback, acupuncture and other ways of getting away from medications. They often have psychologists that can work with his depression, with therapy. As best as possible, he needs to get on a regular schedule of activity, as returning to his prior life will help psychologically as well. He needs to get off oxycodone, as it is no longer working, and can lead to dependence. I don't believe the pulmonary embolism is continuing to cause him pain. Chronic pain can often mimic migraines, and with migraines people can get sensory changes on one side of the body. He should also see a neurologist, if he hasn't already. Please contact me again if you need more guidance.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He has an appointment with a neurologist, but he can not get in till August. <br />He has seen so many doctors, and three times topomax was prescribed, but he refuses to take it, because of a clip he saw on the internet. <br />He does not live with me, but has an apartment by himself. I would not know if he was taking prescribed medication or not. What legal rights do I have if I suspect that he might try to end his life.
Expert:  California Pediatric Neurologist replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately if he chooses not to take medications, nothing can be done about that. If you suspect at any time that he is going to end his life, call 911. He definitely needs a psychologist and/or psychiatrist to help him through this, if he is this depressed. As far as legal right, I apologize that I can not answer that, as I am not a lawyer.
California Pediatric Neurologist and other Neurology Specialists are ready to help you