Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I have an upright piano. Any idea of it’s worth. It is in…

Customer Question
I have an upright...

I have an upright Russell piano. Any idea of it’s worth. It is in good condition and plays well with tuning. It was refinished and pedals are chrome.

Expert's Assistant: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

When I purchased the piano in 1976 it had very dark, almost black finish. It was refinished to walnut. There is decorative carving on the front.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?

Not that I know of.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
5/25/2018
Musical Instrument Appraiser: twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher replied 2 months ago
twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help. I've been an appraiser of antiques and musical instruments for 29 years, and am the president of the Association of Online Appraisers.

Has this piano been regularly tuned? Has it had any internal restoration?

It has been tuned. If I remember right I was told about 30 years ago that the soundboard?( I think thats what it was called) had a crack that had been correctly repaired.

Thank you.

I'm going to do some research and will get back to you shortly.

Back with you now.

This is your answer. Please read in its entirety.

The Russell Piano Company was the successor to The Stark & Strack Piano Company of Chicago.

If it has been regularly tuned and fully restored, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of your piano is approximately $2,500. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or $1,000, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to do that.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button), at no extra cost to you. Your positive rating is how I am credited for my work. Please click the five stars above, and then click the green button. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Best wishes,

Judith-on-Antiques

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your item?

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users. Experts are only credited when and if you, the customer, leaves a favorable rating.

Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no additional cost to you.