Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

1. On eBay I found another concert grand piano - not too old…

Dear Sir,Good evening.1. On eBay...
Dear Sir,Good evening.1. On eBay I found another concert grand piano - not too old - for sale that once again looks rather interesting: a 9' Estonia Concert Grand Piano with item number = 273 114 782 875. The full particulars please. Go into detail: let me know whatever might/could be wrong here, I'd fully accept your frank, critical opinion.2. I would at this early moment add one caviat. I think there will be enough discussion points here that a phone call will ensue later on.3. This time around I want to ask about _any_ _ suggestions_ you would have conc. financing the purchase of this instrument. I do not mean to mislead you into doing anything unprofessional ...Sincerely,eubsaeyr0(###) ###-####
3/20/2018
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser

Hi, I have completed thousands of instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours. *Please ignore phone call offers, I work online only.

I have received your question and will need some time to check into this piano.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much. If you need me for any reason I'm here in Nebraska - on the firing line.Once again you have seen in the instrument selection I have made here what my long-term strategy is: getting the most bang out of my buck.

I have looked into this brand and here is some information for you:

1. Estonia pianos were controlled by the government up until 2001 when it became privately owned. Those built after 2001 would be higher quality and worth more, as the new owners made several quality improvements.

2. The fact that this piano is still fairly new and needs so much work done is concerning, especially the cracks in the soundboard.

3. The piano doesn't appear to have been well cared for.

4. The seller notes a full restoration will be needed and that would be a significant expense for you. They also describe this as an "investment" but I would be wary of calling it that.

I would recommend sticking to one of the better known, higher quality brands--especially if you are OK with investing money for restoration.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me think about this for a minute. Then I'll recontact you, sir.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I looked at the "main" picture in the advertisement; there appears to be a defect in the frame. Would that be a smudge, a weak spot, or maybe a crack?
Not sure on that one. This piano would obviously need to be gone through thoroughly by a technician before purchase.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Further reply:
1. I found the 'smudge' on the frame by zooming in on one of the attached pictures.2. I have a technician from the Philadelphia area who could do the on site evaluation.3. I'm motivated to go through with this. There are a few unanswered questions though, for example, can a replacement frame be found (if necessary); what about offering 2500 for the instrument; shipping costs about 1800 - 2000?

Thanks for your reply. You're welcome to offer less for the instrument, but it sounds like the price is already pretty low for a "newer" concert grand. A frame replacement, if necessary, would be very expensive and labor intensive. You might wish to contact the seller to see if they would negotiate then send your tech out that way if it seems worth it.

Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you again for everything.We will meet again.
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser