Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I own a Kawaii piano and I'd like to know its value. Kawaii…

I own a Kawaii...

I own a Kawaii piano and I'd like to know its value.

Expert's Assistant: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Kawaii baby grand

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?

Rosewood veneer, purchased new in Brooklyn, New York, circa 1978-9. My recollection is that it was purchased for $12,000. It has been well cared for.

3/15/2018
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser

Hi, I have completed thousands of instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours. *Please ignore phone call offers, I work online only.

Could you tell me the model number and serial number? Both should be inside the piano on the harp near the tuning pins and strings.

I'll go take a look. BTW, I still have the key, though I never use it, except when I move.
Model # KG-2C
Serial # 951358

Thanks! I'm looking into this now.

Okay.

In checking Kawai serial listings I find your piano was built in 1977. The KG-2C piano was an older model and measured in at 5'10" in overall length. This is a good size for a grand piano and allows for a full sound while still not taking up too much room. Kawai is one of the better known piano companies and has had a great reputation for quality for many years now.

To find current value I must consider many factors, including maker, age, size, condition, depreciation and the used piano market. Based on that, I would recommend a selling value today of approximately $7,500-$8,800 in a private sale. Best wishes!

Please select a rating before leaving--I aim for five stars! This is how the website credits me, an independent appraiser, for completing this for you. Thanks!

Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Tyler, thank you. I requested a different expert to get a second opinion. I also had a follow-up question for you on the Kawai piano, namely, what would be its current replacement value, for insurance purposes. Do you know?

Sorry for the confusion. You opened several new questions which has confused the system and us. We are not supposed to answer a question if it is simply a follow up to your original post.

In regard to replacement value, I recommend taking the high end of the range I provided. Full replacement value with a new substitute (if allowed by insurance) is $29,000.

Thanks. I was under the impression that follow up questions were free. Sorry about that. Thank you anyway for giving me an answer. I think this service is a rip-off. $45 for one answer is outrageous!

Yes, follow up questions are free--they just must be submitted as a reply in your open question rather than opening a new question as a follow up to your first inquiry. You shouldn't have to pay more than the fee for the one question I answered for you, so be sure to check with customer service that that's the only charge you have. The duplicate questions should be refunded.