Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I have Autoharp Oscar Schmidt antique black 36 strings 12…

I have Autoharp Oscar Schmidt...
I have Autoharp Oscar Schmidt antique black wood 36 strings 12 chords auto harp
No idea of model - all strings attached looks like black lacquer recently redone
What is model and value
3/9/2018
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question..
I will return in just a moment.

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
The Autoharp by Oscar Schmidt has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $350.00-400.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less, if this were sold in a High End Shop in a larger city it would sell for $350.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $350.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
.
When you post a new question, please feel free to add "FOR GLENDA" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'REQUEST AN EXPERT' function OR you can add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars. If you are using the Just Answer App, then it is at the bottom of your page.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What year and model is it and it’s in excellent shape

The model numbers are not listed by matching images, the model number should be on the instrument, if not then it would have been on the paper work. From the picture, it appears to be from the late 40's early 50's.

.

Glenda,
.
.
.
.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you call?

Hello

No, I do not do live phone calls, that is an offer by the site not the appraisers. Appraisers are independent of the site we come to the site to answer questions that customers ask. Once we answer a question then the customer rates us we are then compensated for our time by the site.

I did your answer in writing you can print that if you like.

.

.

Glenda,
.
.
.
.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s in such wonderful condition - is it possible that it was refurbished? And does that lower its value?
I sell vintage and sometimes if something has been restored (especially my 20’-30’s Dolls)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is mint...is it possible there it was refurbished and would that diminish the value.
It does with some of my 20’-30’s. Composition dolls
That’s why I ask

Hello

I do not think it would be refurbished, it is very common to find these in excellent condition, they seem to have not been used that much or at least very well taken care of. It is quite common to find them like this. You will be fine listing this for the amount I quoted of $350.00

.

.

Glenda,
.
.
.
.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You have been beyond excellent . Can I ask a couple of ore questions
Where did you find the $350 price or do you simply know it’s value
If I bought a vintage hard vase for about $40 will that raise the price significantly? Or should I just not bother
It’s in a strong card board box that seems to got it perfectly and quite obvious it’s an old box

Hello

I have a lot of books on musical instruments, and also pay to access several data bases that track sales.

I would not buy the case, I would just list it as is and let them buy a case they like.

.

.

Glenda,
.
.
.
.

Glenda B.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perfect now I simply need to rate & pay you. Hopefully it will pop us and be easy

Thank you so much, I appreciate it. If you need anything else feel free asking for " Glenda "

Glenda

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m wondering how I’ll get anywhere near $350?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please help me here with pricing? And how you reached $350 please

Hello

The value I gave you is the what the item is worth, the book value if you will. What these have been recorded to have sold for in the past 24 months or just a little longer. This is the worth, that does not mean that people will not sell theirs for basically nothing. We see this all the time, people inherit items, they do not want them so they just put them out there for nothing. Then we see items like this that sell way over the book value. The book value is a basis for you to decide what you will take for your piece. It is worth that much but you can sell it for whatever you want to . The book value is there to give people an idea of what it is actually worth. All you can do is list it for what you think you want to sell it for, and if it does not sell for that you can always lower the price.

We get values from data bases we pay to access, that track the past sales of an item. We also have price guide books that we reference.

If this were mine I would list it for the value it is worth and see how it goes. When you list on Ebay, make sure to list it so it runs over a weekend, when people have time to browse the site.

Glenda

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Glenda ...I’ll go with that then . Your value
Deb

You are very welcome Deb

If you need anything else feel free asking for " Glenda "

Thanks

Glenda B.
Glenda B.