Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

We recently purchased a piano for $100. When we got it home…

We recently purchased a...

We recently purchased a piano for $100. When we got it home we found a plate in it that says it’s a 1907 Cabinet Grand by WW Kimball. It also says No 176623 in it. I have pictures. It needs a little restoration. A couple of the ivories are loose and stocking, one pedal sticks, it needs tuned, the box is missing in the back to make it play automatically. It also has some scratches. I was just wondering if this piano is worth restoring?

Expert's Assistant: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?

Hello, are you there?

3/8/2018
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Thanks for your question. These old cabinet grands or upright grands are plentiful on the used market. Kimball made average quality instruments while they were in business. Restoration is a costly undertaking and I really only advise it if you want to keep the instrument. You would lose money when selling if you restored it just because the cost is so high. The piano is worth what you paid for it if it is in playing condition. I would leave as is with necessary maintenance to keep it playing. Best wishes!
Thank you

Glad to help! It shows you have not yet rated my service--please take just a moment to do so which allows me to receive credit from the website for working with you. Thanks!

Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser