Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/15/2018
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser

Hi, I have completed thousands of instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours. *Please ignore phone call offers, I work online only.

I will need some additional information. Can you provide the serial number? (usually located inside near the strings and tuning pins)

When was the player unit installed?

I will look. I don’t think they found one when we had it cleaned up. It may take some time. Is that okay?
that’s fine. Just come back and reply here when you have the info.
The numbers are on the underside of the piece that slides in and holds music. It was old looking and the same finish as the piano. Those numbers don’t seem like the ones on the websites for serial numbers. I have looked everywhere on the body and found no numbers. It was in a house built in the late thirties and both of the owners were players.

Thanks for the photos!

Usually the serial number is ***** a part of the body of the piano, like near the strings. It looks like the number you found is on the music rack, which would be less likely but also possible. In checking that number, that puts the piano at a build year of 1890 which seems to be much older than the piano looks. Any other numbers in the other suggested places? Otherwise, if you know the approximate age of the piano I can go off of that.

No other numbers that I can find. The logo is not the fancy ones but the people that had it before us had had it refinished and they may have put a different logo on there above the keys.
I noticed that this one has only two round holes above the logo inside and some other ones have four. Is that because it is a baby grand and the ones with more holes are bigger? It plays wonderfully and we tune it probably more because we live in Central Florida and lots of humidity. Wish I had more info.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to give more of a general appraisal since we don't know the age. I am completing this for you now.

A.B. Chase pianos were produced for many years, with the company going into business in 1875 and then being acquired by the American Piano Co. in the 1930's with many others. Pianos were still made with the Chase name at that point, though the company was part of the larger conglomerate. Based on the photos alone, I would say your piano comes from the 1940's or 50's. The exterior looks newer than that, and that would make sense based on the refinished case you mentioned. The one interior photo shows the age of the piano a bit better which is how I made my estimate.

Considering this approximate age as well as the improvements you mentioned (including the installed player), I would recommend this piano be valued today at approximately $4,000-$5,000 in a private sale. Best wishes!

Please select a rating before leaving--I aim for five stars! This is how the website credits me, an independent appraiser, for completing this for you. Thank you!

Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser