Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I am considering the purchase of an antique melodeon but I…

Hello, I am considering the purchase...
I am considering the purchase of an antique melodeon but I am unsure of what to offer.
The sellers description is as follows:
Mid 1800s melodeon. Empire flame mahogany case. Bellows work most Keys work. Only one ivory key missing. She's very small. 31 in tall 32 in wide 12 in deep. Civil War era give or take a little bit. I'm working on the keys right now trying to reattach them hopefully they'll all be working by the time I'm done and someone is interested in giving this beautiful piece of history of home. Bought in Salem Virginia. The tag says it belong to mrs. pond.
I have photos but have not yet seen the instrument in person, so I do not have the serial number.
Can you help me?
Respectfully,
J Fairchild
1/15/2018
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question..
I will return in just a moment.

Please upload the image

Hello

Is the Melodeon in good condition, meaning the wood all looks good, there is no damage? ,

There are approximately 3 to 4 minor chips, but overall the wood appears to be in good condition.

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
The Antique 1800s Melodeon with Empire flame mahogany case, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $1***-**-****.00. If you look on Ebay you can see Melodeon's selling for all over the place in price. Ebay is what appraisers consider to be wholesale or close out sales, where a lot of people put their items that would not sell anywhere else, so prices are always low. This is a great piece of history.

.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is Offerup.com, Varagesale.com, Wanelo.com, www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com and letgo.com. You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them. There is also Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Glenda B.
Glenda B.