Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I just found an old German Zither in an antique store. It is…

I just found an old...
I just found an old German Zither in an antique store. It is black with red script on the face that says Menzenhauer. in the center is written in gold, ORIGINAL D.R.U.M.
Menzenhauer & Schmidt Berlin. It has a beautiful tone when the strings are plucked, but when strummed it sounds awful. Is it just a beautiful dusty old metal antique, or could it be tuned and played again? Would it cost a fortune to tune it or is it even possible?
Thank you!
1/15/2018
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question..
I will return in just a moment.

Can you send a picture of this?

No

I assume you mean no to the phone call offer, that is fine, I did not send that, It is an upsell by the site

Hello

You will need to take this to a local music store, they can recommend who could tune this for you. It should not cost much.

Are you wanting the current market value for this?

Glenda

Will that cost an additional amount?

No not at all

By the way I am getting duplicate response

I do not understand what you mean duplicate response

Thank you very much !

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.

The Menzenhauer & Schmidt Berlin Zither, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $500.00-650.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less, if this were sold in a High Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $650.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $650.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is Offerup.com, Varagesale.com, Wanelo.com, www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
There is also Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Two emails that are the sam

That must be a glitch from the site. I only respond here, and then the site sends the message on to the customer, so I guess they are sending it out twice! Sorry. Appraisers are not employees we come to the site to answer questions that customers ask, then when the customer rates us we are paid by the site for answering.

Do you have an idea of the value of this piece? Thanks!

.

.
.
.
.
.
.
Glenda,
.
.
.

Glenda B.
Thank you Glenda. I am happy glad for your help and to give you a 5 star rating. Can’t imagine it being worth that much money though but this tells me it’s worth trying to get it tuned! Just hoping they won’t charge me twice but I’m sure I can work thT out with the server. Thanks so much!!!

You are very welcome,

Glenda B.
Glenda B.