Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I have my father’s violin in a case with one bow. The

sticker inside says Antonio’s Stradivarius...
I have my father’s violin in a case with one bow. The sticker inside says Antonio’s Stradivarius Cremonensis Faciebat Anno 1721. Above the sticker is a signed name and a hand drawn box with 1721 in it. It was his personal violin and he stopped playing it except for practice when he played in several big bands, Dorsey’s and Glenn Miller were the most famous. He played it the last time in 1958. It is in great condition, should I have it refurbished or just cleaned up?
1/10/2018
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question
I will return in just a moment.

Are you wanting the current market value for this?

Pictures would be great.

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
.
If your pictures are on a phone, plug the phone into the computer, then you can upload to the site right from the phone, the phone will be treated as a removable drive.
.

It went with the text.

Can you send me a picture of the whole violin?

He played Sax and Clarinet in the GM band, Air Force Band and One of the Dorsey’s band. He played all instruments except piano and guitar.

Hello

It sounds like he had a very interesting life, what a great thing to have his Violin.

.

I would only have it cleaned up, it does not appear to need refurbishing, unless there is something I cannot see in the images.

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
The Reproduction of an Original Stradivarius, with label Antonio’s Stradivarius Cremonensis Faciebat Anno 1721 ( most likely produced in Germany ) has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $600.00-650.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less if this were sold in a High End Shop it would sell for $650.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $650.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get compensated for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Thank you so much. Another fun thing about my dad....he dated Rosemary Clooney and introduced her to Her husband Jose’. George Clooney could have been my cousin! Thank you again. Have a great 2018.
Babette

Babette

What a great history, he sounds like he was a wonderful Father and had such a great history.

If you do not mind rating this answer I would appreciate it, you click the stars at the top of the page, 5 being best! This is the only way we are compensated for our time working for the customers. It is at no cost to you.

Thanks for taking the time to rate me.

Hope you have a great day

Glenda