Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I have what I believe to be an A H Gale upright. It was

Customer Question
I have what I...

I have what I believe to be an A H Gale upright

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It was owned by my Mother who removed the black paint at some time. She told me that it was an Gale or had that name on the front of it

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?

The # is 54201

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/17/2017
Musical Instrument Appraiser: AppraisalExpert, Professional Appraiser replied 7 months ago
AppraisalExpert
AppraisalExpert, Professional Appraiser

Thanks for the question! A H Gale is a rarer piano maker, but unfortunately, there is not a strong market for these pianos because of the work they take to be playable. A vintage, early 20th century wooden upright piano like yours would sell at the $200 to $500 level and in fully restored, playable condition, it could sell at the $750 to $1,000 level. They can even sell for very low prices, like this one that brought $94 in a recent auction, see: https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2307/lots/992

According to Antique Piano Shop, "One of the 19th Century’s most successful square grand piano manufacturers was the firm of A.H. Gale. The firm was originally established in 1837 as the New York Piano Manufacturing Company, and consisted of about 20 journeymen piano makers on a cooperative basis. The original factory was located at 163-165 East 23rd Street, New York City, then later moved to***** As the firm continued to grow, it again was moved to new factories on 3rd Avenue. In about 1839, A.H. Gale took control of the company and the name was changed to A.H. Gale & Company. The firm was located at 13th Street at this time. Gale built a full line of square grand pianos as well as a handful of upright models. His instruments were known to be of superior quality and craftsmanship, and they enjoyed a very good reputation. A.H. Gale went out of business in 1870, although some were sold under the A.H. Gale brand label as late as 1900." (see: http://antiquepianoshop.com/online-museum/gale-a-h/)

Please rate my professionalism in addressing answer using the JustAnswer 5-star system. Rating the question is the sole-way that experts are recognized and closes the question. It costs nothing more for you.

Following-up as I noticed you viewed your answer but elected not to rate it. Is there any additional information that I can provide? Again, rating the question is the sole-way that experts are recognized and closes the question. It costs nothing more for you.