Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

Piano appraisal please. I have a grand piano with gold

Piano appraisal please Expert's...

Piano appraisal please

Expert's Assistant: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I have a howard grand piano green with gold accents

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?

The stamp was under the music stand "CE 80 713" again its green with bench in moderate condition

12/9/2017
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser

Hi, I have completed thousands of instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours. *Please ignore phone call offers, I work online only.

Please check inside the piano for the serial number. It will be located near the strings and tuning pins and will be a continuous 5-6 digit number.

the stamped wood was under the slide in and out music stand, "CE 80 713" it is Green with gold pen howard grand

There should be no space in a serial. Could you include a photo of it? Or, if you know the age of the piano I can go on that.

sorry was taking pictures, I can text otherwise i need 5 minutes to email save and attach...

No prob. They will need to be attached here in your reply, I can't receive email or text due to site rules.

Thanks! I’m looking into this now.
no idea of age
father-in-law bought it in Ohio in the 90's from a private owner
Ok, thanks

Thanks for your patience. In checking the serial listings for the number you provided, it is important to note there are two possibilities for some Howard pianos. There was a period of time in the 50's and 60's where Howard had their own numbers. Otherwise, their numbers were lumped into the Baldwin serial listings. This gives me an option of either early 1910's or 1964. It is more likely the latter. If you see any dates of any time inside the piano, like a patent date, let me know, as that could help narrow it down. That said, this is either a 1964 piano in rough shape or a 1910's piano in average shape.

Based on your photos and considering the used piano market today, I would recommend a selling range of approximately $1,400-$2,000 in a private sale. Best wishes!

Please select a rating before leaving--I aim for five stars! This is how the website credits me, an independent appraiser, for completing this for you. Thanks!

Would the estimate change if we knew it was the 1910's in average shape? Thank you!

Not by much--I would decrease the price by about $500 on each end if it were the earlier model.

OK - thank you very much! Have a happy holiday!PS - do you want to buy it? $5,000 JK, $1200?
Sorry, one more question -- do you have a recommendation on where to list a piano for sale?

Haha! Sorry, no on this one. I would list it on craigslist to attract local sellers. You could also place an ad in your local paper. Your chances of success selling this outside your city or to a piano dealer are rather slim. Best wishes!

Please remember to rate before leaving!

Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser