Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I have a Monarch "baby baby" grand that was built in the…

Customer Question
I have a Monarch...

I have a Monarch "baby baby" grand that was built in the second part of the 1930s especially for my parents to match their furniture. It is the only one like it in the world,and has been maintained. Where do I find the serial number? I don't want to sell it, will be handing down. Thanks.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?

I wish I could remember the date, but I was there when it was delivered to my parents at Langley Field, Va. (I'm 84.) It took a year to make, and cost $900. It has a plaque that it was made expressley for them. The wood is oak. Mother then had a bench made for it, which cost all of $12 in those days! About ten years ago I had it completely re-done, maybe the word is reburshed, with everything done exactly as orginally.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
11/30/2017
Musical Instrument Appraiser: Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser replied 4 months ago
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Thanks for your question. When you say you had it redone, was that just refinishing or did you have the mechanical action restored also?
Completely restored.
It is a Monarch, baby baby grand (I know that's not the correct term), built in the late 1930s for my parents. I had already sent some info, did you get it?
I think I'm getting into an expense right now that I didn't expect because I signed on my mistake with my credit card. By that I mean I don't have the info at hand that I will need for you to do your best. Is there any way I can cancel the charge against my card now? I didn't mean to sign up for a site I don't really need for $35/month. Thanks very much. (Not looking for freebie, just was mixed up.)
Sorry for any confusion. You don’t have to pay for anything more than a one time appraisal if you don’t want. Customer service can help you with that. Please allow me some time to complete your question.
Okay, I've already talked with customer service and my card has been charged for today, so I might as well go ahead!
The piano took one year to build, at a cost of $900. The case is oak, and the style of legs, etc., was made to match their furniture. My mother then had a bench built for it, at the grand cost of $12. I remember the day it was delivered to our house at Langley Field, Virginia. I'm now 84, but was about four then, I believe. Can't remember the exact 1930s date, perhaps 1936-38. It has a plaque on it that it was made especially for my parents. The keys are real ivory and ebony. I know there are signatures in it. Ten or less years ago it went under complete rebuilding? restoration? for about $7000. I keep it tuned, and it's good for another 80 years or so! It is a Monarch.
I'm not selling it, it will be handed down. I know at one time my mother thought it should go to a museum, being the only one like it casewise in the world, but I've been advised against that. It's really a nice small size baby grand.
mechanical action restored also to be as exact to the original as possible. He researched to be as accurate as possible.
The restorer thought it was a very nice piece, took about a year to redo.
Thanks for the info. I will be able to get back to you in a couple hours.
Thanks for your patience while I looked into this.
Some of these Monarch pianos were butterfly models. That means their lid opened in two halves like wings. There were many of these made. You said yours is a one of a kind. That may be the case but that doesn’t increase the value any.
I’m glad to hear of the work you had done to the piano which certainly increases the value and life.
Based on all of these factors and considering the used market today, I would recommend a current value of approximately $5,500-$7,000 depending on local selling market. Best wishes!
Please select a positive rating before leaving—this is how I, an independent appraiser, am credited for my work. Thanks!
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser