Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I have a wellington upright piano which was last tuned in…

Customer Question
I have a wellington...

I have a wellington upright piano which was last tuned in 1974 that is in good/excellent condition. measures 62 inches long, 27.5 inches wide and 55 inches tall

Expert's Assistant: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It's dark wood

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?

It was signed inside by the piano tuner in 1974 but we had it in the house before that. Maybe since 1963-65

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Musical Instrument Appraiser: Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser replied 8 months ago
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser

Hi, I have completed thousands of instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours. *Please ignore phone call offers, I work online only.

Can you provide the serial number located inside near the strings?

not at the moment

OK, I can complete this without it.

okay

Wellington was an American piano company, with later instruments made by the Cable company and Ivers & Pond. You noted the height at 55 inches which usually means it was built prior to 1930 in the age of tall pianos. Piano sizes began to decrease at this point, due to financial hardship from the depression and the piano industry needing to build cheaper pianos to stay in business.

The lack of tuning for over 40 years is a major concern. Annual tuning is recommended, especially for an old instrument like this one. Pianos are valued on a number of factors, with age and condition being some of the most important. Due to old age and lack of maintenance, this piano could not be considered in excellent condition--more realistically it would be judged in "fair" condition.

Based on your description of the instrument, and considering the used piano market today, I would recommend a private sale value of approximately $200-$500 with final price determined by actual condition and local market. Best wishes!

Please select a rating before leaving--I aim for five stars! This is how the website credits me, an independent appraiser, for completing this for you. Thanks!

Hi--checking back to see if you have received my appraisal?