Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

Question Concerns: Ebay Item Number 252785521828, Knabe

Question Concerns: Ebay Item Number...
Question Concerns: Ebay Item Number 252785521828, William Knabe Concert Grand PianoDear Sir,When you have finished reading the discussion here you'll get to the actual question asked - what are your comments on an 1890 Knabe concert grand piano.First, I ask that you select a different piano for comparison purposes, a Baldwin, ID 332415925112, (momentarily) advertised on Ebay. Now, you can directly compare the 1904 Baldwin to the 1890 William Knabe. Were I to bid on it, I would, say, offer $10,999.95.Therefore, please carry out the (simple) comparison of these two different pianos. What I am trying to accomplish here is threefold: 1) get an improved feeling for choosing a suitable instrument based on my own judgement; 2) sizing up the difference between older, similarly-priced instruments; and 3) being able to decide whether I want (to buy) the 8' Knabe concert grand.Sincerely,
11/16/2017
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser

Hi, I have completed thousands of instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours. *Please ignore phone call offers, I work online only.

In a head-to-head comparison, you will likely find a slightly better quality in the Baldwin just because it is newer and a full 9' long. There were some improvements in piano technology in this period of 15 years. Today 8' concert grands are no longer made, so the 9' Baldwin would be of the same or very similar scale to what Baldwin was making 100 years later.

In viewing the photos, the exterior cosmetic condition of both pianos appears excellent, however the Baldwin has had work done (good). It says it was restrung 10-15 years ago and I can tell that the pins are newer as well. You should find out the extent of the work done on the Baldwin beyond the restringing and refinishing. The Knabe doesn't show very clear pictures of the insides, but it appears the pins are original. I would be hesitant about the playing condition this piano is in without more information. The Knabe certainly has a beautiful case design and is characteristic of the late 1800's style. The Baldwin is a standard 9' stage concert grand, and you very seldom find those in finishes other than ebony.

Condition is key, and if the Knabe is in original condition with no work done, I would almost surely steer clear of it. Best wishes!

Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser