Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I have an old Steinway Baby grand that was completely

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old Steinway Baby grand that was completely restores about 10 years ago. I want to an idea of it's value. It does not have a traditional serial number in it.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

At the end of the piano, in the metal of the string harp is the following: "5/28, R, 2714" and then below that the number 4.

Expert's Assistant: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?

Just that my grandparents got it perhaps during the depression.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
11/13/2017
Musical Instrument Appraiser: jennem22, Appraiser replied 8 months ago
jennem22
jennem22, Appraiser

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

The following link shows where the serial number should be. The number you gave me is quite atypical for a serial--can you recheck?

http://www.steinwaybocaraton.com/knowledge-base/steinway-serial-numbers

There is no number in the traditional spot just behind the keyboard. What I sent is correct. Very strange.

Is it possible to send a photo of the part where it's typically numbered--the plate between the tuning pins--and also of the number that is there? I'm wondering if those parts were replaced for some reason.

Thanks. I'm researching.

I just talked to a colleague at Steinway, and he agrees...every single Steinway baby grand has both the model letter and the serial number in this area, in the following picture. Can you reconfirm yours is totally blank?

Jennifer

totally blank
Could it have been painted over? All the pianos I have seen I think the number is ***** in raised petters

The number is ***** and can sometimes be sanded off...but never for good reasons.

You might be able to find the serial number stamped onto the front of the action or stamped on the underside of the piano close to where the pedals are attached to the case.

Not easy to get to the underside, but you may be able to stick a cell phone with flash under there and take photos.

Ok. I will look. I am not at the piano now so it may take a few days to check when I can.
Thanks for your help.

No hurry!

You can also try underneath the music stand, on the frame near the tuning block; between the bass and treble strings. Or on the back of the keyslip. This is the piece that runs across the front of the keyboard, covering most of the front of the keys.

Good luck!

Jennifer

Wow. Lots of places they could hide the serial number!
I will let you know.

Originally, there was a serial number on the plate. Somehow, and I don't know why, it's been sanded off or otherwise concealed. So now we have to check for the backup locations!

The serial number in the original location - would that have been engraved on so painting over would not hide or are they just printed on?

They are engraved. They are sometimes filed/sanded off and then the part is repainted. This can happen if it got rusty, or often it happens to conceal the age.