Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I bought a chickering quarter grand very good condition for…

I bought a chickering quarter...
I bought a chickering quarter grand very good condition for $1,500 #104858 one more #121 What do you think
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/12/2017
twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help. I've been an appraiser of musical instruments for 29 years, and am the President of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The serial number indicates that your piano was built in 1904. Since that time has your piano been regularly tuned? Has it had any internal restoration?

Not sure we bought it at a consignment store
What is it Worth

Have you requested a phone call? I usually don't do them because they add an extra charge to your bill and I can answer your question right here at no additional charge. Also, it's difficult to research and speak with you at the same time. Do you still want a phone call?

Paid $70.00 No help sent pictures. Ask for phone call nothing.

If you sent pictures, Dan, they did not arrive. I have been responding to you all along, above.

Not sure what you mean. But, I'm happy to answer your question right here. If you bought the piano in a consignment store, and they gave you no information, chances are good that the piano was not maintained or tuned.

Old pianos have no value just for being old. In other words, prospective buyers are not collecting pianos; they want to be able to play them. They are interested in a good musical instrument not a piece of furniture.

Pianos have parts that wear out and must be replaced, and a piano that hasn’t been regularly tuned will not hold a tuning. So, old pianos are at a disadvantage in the market.
Pianos are valued heavily on age after other factors like style, maker and condition. Age will tell you what kind of wear the piano would have mechanically. Even if the outside looks good the internal mechanisms are likely only in fair condition.

If it is in very good cosmetic condition, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of your piano is approximately $1,000. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $400, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Dan. Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to do that.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button), at no extra cost to you. Your positive rating is how I am credited for my work. Please click the five stars above, and then click the green button.
Thank you so much!

Best regards,

Judith-on-Antiques

Thank you very much I really appreciate that

Happy to help. Please rate my service now.

twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher

Thanks for your positive rating, Dan!

If you have additional items you want to know about, I'd be happy to help you with those. If you want me to answer your questions, all you need to do is use my name, Judith, as the first word of each question.
Best regards,
Judith-on-Antiques